Room Parents play an important role as a liaison between classroom teachers and parents. They also serve as a resource for “New to Cabot” families, and generally contribute to a sense of shared Cabot community. Ideally, each classroom has 2-3 Room Parents. There are a range of responsibilities that can be shared and structured as each set of Room Parents sees fit.
- Communications: Forward important email messages from the PTO and the classroom teachers to classroom parents (often these messages are timely and should be forwarded as soon as possible).
- Event Planning: Help classroom teachers organize get-togethers during the school year (often referred to as “publishing parties”) as well as the end-of-year class picnic. See below for links and helpful tips.
- Gifting: Organize holiday and end-of-year gifts for the classroom teachers and aids. See below for Newton Public School guidelines.
Organizing Classroom Events
- MySchoolAnywhere has an excellent signup service built into its capabilities. Log in to MySchoolAnywhere using the firstname.lastname@example.org username and the password you were provided. Once you’re logged in, click on Signups, Manage Events, and copy the TEMPLATE FOR CLASS PARTIES into a new signup for your event.
Cabot Food Safety Protocol
To make sure that PTO events are safe for all children and family members please follow the protocol below whenever food will be provided at an event.
Make sure to include the following in any SignUpGenius or emails:
1) Remember that there may be children with nut allergies attending this event.
2) All food (store bought or homemade) must be accompanied by a full list of ingredients per Massachusetts Law and Newton’s Health and Human Services Department:
Newton Public Schools Gift Policy
All gifts to Cabot staff and faculty must follow the Newton Public Schools Gift Policy, which can be viewed at: http://bit.ly/NPLgiftpolicy.
In summary, group gifts to an individual staff member are only permitted if 1) the gift is identified as being from the entire class; 2) the identity of the givers and the individual amounts are not disclosed to the recipient; and 3) the gift does not exceed $150 per teacher, per school year. No parent/guardian should ever feel obligated or pressured to give or contribute to a class gift.
Visit the PTO’s Pinterest page for gift ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/cabotpto/teacher-appreciation-gifts/. Gift cards are permitted as long as they do not exceed the $150/yr spending limit.
Individual student/family gifts of appreciation in the form of sentimental tokens are allowed (greeting cards, notes). Another excellent option is to make a donation to the Newton Schools Foundation’s Honor Thy Teacher campaign. Learn more about the program at http://www.newtonschoolsfoundation.org/aboutnsf.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Grade Leader or PTO leadership at email@example.com.