Plans for a renovated and expanded Cabot School continue. Check this page for continued updates on the project. Last year’s project news can be found by clicking here.
- Cabot Building Project community update – June 22, 6:30pm in the Cabot gym (this will be the same presentation as was given in May for those who missed the May meeting)
Latest presentations/memos/reports, etc.:
- May 18 – Cabot Building Project Community update
- May 10 – MSBA Board Meeting
- March 6 – update to School Committee and City Council
- March 2 – next submission to MSBA due
- February 23, 2017 – DRC/CSBC meeting
- February 8, 2017 – Design Review Committee (DRC) meeting
- January 19, 2017 – CSBC/DRC meeting
- January 11, 2017 – DRC meeting presentation
- December 22, 2016 – CSBC/DRC meeting presentation
- December 14, 2016 – DRC meeting presentation
- November 21, 2016 – The Newton City Council voted in support of the Cabot project
- November 9, 2016 – Massachusetts School Building Committee (MSBA) Board awarded Newton a $13.6 million grant for the Cabot School project and invited the District into Module 5 – Funding the Project. Read the press release here.
- On October 24, 2016, the Newton City Council Finance Committee approved the allocation of funds for the renovation/addition of Cabot School.
- Newton’s Public Facilities Committee unanimously approved the site plan following a public forum on October 19, 2916.
- 10-14-16 Cabot Planning Department Memo re: §5-58 of the City of Newton Ordinances, request for site plan approval to renovate and add to Cabot Elementary School with related site improvements
- 10-11-16 Letter from Mayor Warren to Newton City Council re: Cabot project funding appropriation
- The Massachusetts Historical Commission recently gave their approval to the plans for the restoration and expansion of Cabot School.
- 9-28-16 Design Review Committee meeting presentation
- 9-26-16 Design Review Committee letter to Newton City Council re: Cabot project
- Tuesday, 9/13, 6pm – CSBC/DRC meeting
- Sept. 6, 2016 – Joint School Committee/City Council meeting presentation
- Aug. 25, 2016 presentation to the Newton Historical Commission – The commission voted to support the current, approved plan
Questions/feedback: Contact the Project Cabot Team
Current project phase:
On August 6, 2015,the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) Board approved the Preferred Schematic Report that was submitted with the approval of the Cabot School Building Committee. The project is now well into the Schematic Design phase. Design work has been approved by the Cabot School Building Committee and has been reviewed by the Newton Historical Commission, who lent its support at their Aug. 25 meeting. To learn more about the Schematic Design phase, click here. The project team is preparing to submit it schematic design documents for review by the MSBA Board of Directors on November 9, 2016.
For additional information, visit the Project Manager’s website.