The process has begun! Cabot School will be begin it’s long awaited renovation/addition in the 2017-18 school year. This page contains information from the building project for the 2015-16 school year.
Presentations/memos/reports, etc. from the 2015-16 School Year:
- Summer meetings worked out more building details, including the link between the original structure and the new gym addition, the windows in the new additions, and the “theme” to connect the 3 additions. Click each date to review the presentations:
- Aug. 25, 2016 presentation to the Newton Historical Commission – The commission voted to support the current, approved plan
- Aug. 23, 2016 CSBC/DRC meeting
- Aug. 17, 2016 DRC meeting
- July 28, 2016 Newton Historical Commission meeting
- Design details continue to be discussed and modified to keep the project within budget. Click to view the June 22, 2016 and July 13, 2013 Design Review Committee meeting presentations
- Presentation from the June 2, 2016 CSBC/DRC meeting. The site plan approved on April 5, 2016, was unanimously approved again at this meeting.
- Click here to view the presentation from the May 23, 2016 working group meeting. Only concept B4 will be considered for further development.
- There was no visual presentation at the May 5, 2016 CSBC/DRC meeting. Stay tuned for meeting minutes. During this meeting, the CSBC voted to “pause” moving forward with the schematic design approved (by a vote of 11-0-1) on April 5, 2016, for 4 weeks and directed the design team to determine if an alternative configuration using more of the north side of the site can be developed.
- At the April 5, 2016 CSBC/DRC meeting (draft meeting minutes can be found here), the CSBC voted to move forward with concept 4.0 to 4.1/4.15 (possibly moving the gym up to 15 feet south, towards Cabot Street). View the presentation from the April 5, 2016 CSBC/DRC meeting.
- Presentation from the March 23, 2016 DRC meeting
- Presentation from the March 17, 2016 CSBC/DRC meeting
- Presentation from the October 22, 2015 Cabot School Building Committee/Design Review Committee meeting
- September 8, 2015 Board of Alderman and School Committee Joint Meeting
Project Update (Cabot portion begins on page 18)
- Preliminary site design images from 9/1/15
Frequently asked questions
Click here to read Ms. DiBella’s answers to some frequently asked questions about the Cabot School renovation project.
Questions/feedback: Contact the Project Cabot Team
Current project phase:
On August 6, the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) Board approved the Preferred Schematic Report that was submitted with the approval of the Cabot School Building Committee. The project has now begun the Schematic Design phase work. To learn more about the Schematic Design phase, click here.
Some background info and project history
- June 11, 2015 – Preferred Schematic Report, Introduction
This document provides a review of the facility and programming deficiencies of the current school and summaries the local design process to date.
- Feb. 27, 2015 – Preliminary Design Program, Introduction
This document provides a summary of the project schedule. the existing school conditions, the site plan, an evaluation of alternatives, the 4 options that were considered, and the Districts’s Preferred Solution.
- Jan. 27, 2015 – Cabot Elementary School Educational Program
This document outlines the educational programing needs for Cabot School.
For additional information, visit the Project Manager’s website.