October 11, 2017 – DRAFT
Catherine Dun Rappaport
All in favor
Minutes: Cabot website, PTO
- PTO/CASP movie night – good turn out, $410 through bake sale (National Diaper Network)
- 40th Anniversary Party at Lawn on D – around 200 attendees
- Upcoming: 5th grade haunted house (carnival theme), concession stands – will be using classrooms earlier than usual to set up
- Family fest – Turkey Trot
- No longer doing Divine Desserts, craft instead
- Looking for teachers
- Looking for other community members to join school council – former Cabot parent? Neighborhood representative?
- Meet and greet for all families – not only new families; 4th and 5th graders gave tours of the building
- Community supper – well attended, food truck (feedback from co-chairs)
- Back to School night – specialists have a specific time so that k-2 and 3-5 families can see their specialist teachers?
- PTO meetings as needed? (Boost attendance)
- Superintendent – January 16th
- How to Talk to Kids About Race – meeting at Angier last night (Cabot parents attended – possible PTO meeting topic)
- Directory – printing for families who requested
- Room Parent – staffed, will be training
- Coffee with Eric tomorrow morning
- Book Fair
- Spring Fling will be coming back – forming group to party plan
- School Pass – ongoing to communicate “how to” questions and “terms” for parents to be able to understand
- Lost and Found – location, clean out donations
- Halloween – candy collection
- Meeting times – goal is to have morning and evening times for families to be able to attend
- 2 METCO parents on PTO as representatives
- School Families – Responsive School (morning meeting with k-5 range of students and “family teacher”), Whole-School Assembly after meeting
- 38 families – around 11-13 students per family
- Lesson plans will be provided by Responsive team so that all families are having the same meeting
- Culturally Proficient Group Meeting – last night (meeting monthly)
- What do we need to work on? How does that look in the building?
- Facilitated by Newton parent (Amy Barrons, Vanitta)
- Mural Idea – support from PTO, Christine Phillips, Eric Sprung, etc.
- Brainstorming logisitics
- Groundbreaking for Cabot School (pictures uploaded on Facebook page)
- “Cabot Elementary” – Facebook and Twitter pages are being created, content is being created and shared by staff members, and a Cabot parent
- Eric serves as the moderator – comments posted on the page must be approved by him
School Improvement Plan
- 2015-2018 Plan – within the final year of the plan
- Educational jargon to clarify for parents, baseline data/knowledge
- Thinking of adding to facility section – transition from Carr to Cabot
- Increase in size – redrawn districts?
- PTO meeting in Roxbury for METCO students?
- Set goals as a group that may not be reflected in the school improvement plan: Numbers based? Number of events/programs? Number of tasks to complete?
- Share with staff
- Working with School Pass and parents still
- Parent communication – Tremendous growth from the beginning of the year up until now
- Behavior challenges are being addressed individually by Eric
- Communicate any bus challenges to Eric so that he can address the behavior with the student(s)
- Assigned seats as logical consequences for individual behaviors
- Bus Evacuation drills to come
- Time inconsistency for bus stop arrivals at the end of the day