Dear NPS Families:
We would like to take this opportunity to provide detailed information on school operations this year in the areas of transportation, food service, and before/after school childcare. As a general reminder, please always wear masks while on school grounds, buses and vans, practice social distancing during drop off and pick up times, and exit the campus immediately following pick up and drop off.
Bus registration is closed to allow adequate time to plan appropriately. As you may be aware, our transportation seating capacity is limited and we have made adjustments to our routes to meet the physical distancing requirements laid out by the state. We know there will be challenges as we start the year with these new modifications and ask for your patience and understanding.
Below is key information related to bus transportation:
- Yellow bus transportation and crossing guard posts will begin on Monday, September 21, 2020
- Bus passes WILL NOT be mailed. They will be posted to your Aspen account. Instructions for downloading the pass will be provided on Friday.
- Students MUST have their bus pass with them to board the bus.
- The bus pass will include a seat assignment. Students will need to sit in their assigned seat.
- Bus route information can be found on our website: www.newton.k12.ma.us/
- Crossing Guards will be posted for the 8:30 AM start and 12:30 PM dismissal at the elementary school level.
Protocols for bus ridership include:
- Face masks for all students and drivers
- Open windows
- One student per bench (exception for siblings or students living in same household)
- Regular cleaning and disinfecting of the buses and vans.
More information and specific information for specialized van transportation can be found here https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/
We are also asking families to look for alternative means to transport your student including walking, biking and safe carpooling options. You can find out more about these options here.
Grab and go meals will continue to be provided for families M-F from 10am-12pm at North and South High Schools at no cost. Students receiving additional programming in the school building after 12:30 will be eligible for a lunch at no cost through December, regardless of meal eligibility. No application is required. However, to receive other types of financial aid assistance unrelated to meals, families will need to submit a “Free and Reduced Price Meal Application.” Follow this link to apply when the application process opens in the next few weeks.
Early Morning and After Care Programs
Starting October 5, 2020, Newton Public Schools will begin the Early Morning Care Program for students in Grades K through 5 in most elementary schools. The program operates from 7:30 a.m. until 8:25 a.m. with a fee of $12/day. At this time there will be a 10 student limit per school and is only available on the day in which your student is in the school building. Registration will be posted here shortly: https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/
For after care, please contact individual programs directly for more information about their operations this year. Follow this link for contact information: https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/
Partnership with families is an essential component of a successful school year, especially this year in light of our circumstances. Should you have any questions about any information in this letter, please reach out to the NPS business office at 617-559-9025.
Liam T. Hurley
Assistant Superintendent/Chief Financial and Administrative Officer