With winter finally giving us some snow, please know that anywhere you encounter a blocked sidewalk or dicey intersection along your walk, you need to report it to the City of Newton. It actually is illegal for businesses and homeowners to leave the sidewalks unshoveled or iced over. You can report these problems to the city directly online through the Newton 311 website. The 311 reporting system is the big green button on the left side of the homepage and it is easy to navigate – and anonymous. While there, feel free to report anything else that you think needs to be repaired or addressed to make the walk to school safer for you and your children, including overgrown hedges that block the sidewalk or vision, busted pavement, faded crosswalk paint, even traffic lights that change too quickly or too slowly to help pedestrians cross. You can also send an email to the PTO, and our Safe Routes to School representative can report your concerns.